New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:06 am

photoshop vs aperture 
Contributor

Post photoshop vs aperture
Im using photoshop at the moment and Im planning on getting a new D SLR for the upcoming season, just trying to figure out what the best software to use is. I know there is a free trial of aperture on apples website but just wanted to see if anyone here has had any luck with it.

thanks

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:52 am
Contributor

Post Re: photoshop vs aperture
i think the two programs are for slightly different purposes but, not sure....

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:46 am
Contributor

photoshop is for editing photos.
aperture is not. its mass editing, organizing, indexing, etc.
adobe light room is a competitor of aperture.
here is there description:
Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 2 software is essential for today's digital photography workflow. Now you can quickly import, process, manage, and showcase your images — from one shot to an entire shoot.

for straight editing photoshop is the best. on the mac pixelmator is a very good cheap alternative. so is gimp which is free.

if you do lots of photo shots and thinks like aperture and lightroom are great for handling work flows.

im sure a real photographer can give you some better advise. :)

Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Contributor

I used apreture for a little while and lightroom for a little while. Apreture ran smoother on my imac 2.4

And honestly it almost entirely replaced photoshop for me. All of the post-production work i do i could do in Ap. Id on occasion bring some stuff into PS for pixel modification like dodging/burning, but not much else.

Lightroom and I didn't get along. Thats not to say it isnt an awsome product I just found everything to be more intuitive for me with the Apple software.

bottom line is both can do more or less the same things. And both are available for free trial. I'd try em out if i where you.

http://www.ericbakerphotography.com

Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:26 am
Team Member

I have Lightroom and Photoshop. I couldn't tell you the last time I opened photoshop to process an image. Lightroom is deffinatley a good program for processing.

Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:18 pm
Contributor

Lightroom is the cat's meow. But Photoshop does the same exact thing when you open a .NEF (atleast CS3 does)

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:09 pm
newB

Photoshop is an image editing application. If you need to do heavier editing like in masking or work in layers. Aperture is a software for mac. i like aperture. That is what i use to edit my photos. If your looking for hardcore photo editing photoshop is the way to go.

Tue May 18, 2010 1:30 am