New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Uncanoonuc Trails, Goffstown NH? 
Contributor

Post Uncanoonuc Trails, Goffstown NH?
Removed

Last edited by BlackFoesRider on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:02 pm
Contributor

Post Re: Uncanoonuc Trails, Goffstown NH?
BlackFoesRider wrote:
Does anyone have any info on the mtb trails around the Uncanoonucs in Goffstown, NH? I just moved to the Westside of Manchester and I've been riding the FOMBA trail quite a bit, but a local rider told me there was great riding at the 'Uncanoonuc trails' and that there were several groups that ride out there. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

http://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/nh_g ... review.htm

I have the map and directions, yet I have never went. I have also heard rave reviews, and I believe one of the trails was built by a Highland regular. From what I have heard, undescended testicle is the crap.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:02 am
Contributor

As it turns out I'm the builder of that trail 8-)
Haven't been there in a few years as I changed locations, so there may be ice storm damage on the trail.
A lot of people get lost on Undescended Testicle because it was built to be hard for the ATVers who frequented the mountain to find. The map on the mentioned site is pretty good. As you stand on the rock that is the 4'er (to flat) look across at the antennas on S. Mtn, then turn 180 degrees around and you're facing the fire road/trail that drops off the "back side". That's where you want to go. There is an initial straight steep section which ends in a right turn/left turn "S". Just as you turn left on your right is a little rock that looks like a tombstone - take a left here into the woods. You should see a faint impression where bikes have been riding it. It's kind of a straight traverse for a couple hundred feet, then a slight uphill section (rider's left). At this point the trail gets easier to follow. First there are some tight fun turns with rolling sections, then a straight section that leads to a sharp left. Carry a lot of speed because this brings you to a platform to ride off. It might be worth walking it first and checking the integrity of the platform and especially, the ramp onto it because I don't know if it's been maintained in the last several years.
After going off the platform you'll take a right down a rocky section and come to another fire road. This is the first place people get lost. The trail continues on the other side of the fireroad but you have to look hard for it. Find an opening between 2 evergreens. You'll see a big downed tree with a rock surface to the left of it. Ride the rock, then the dirt trail will start again. The next section is easy to follow and will lead to a couple of "ladders to nowhere" that will get you some nice air onto a steep section that looks like it ends in trees. Right where this ends there is another drop to flat that is fun at speed. This is the second place people get lost. After landing the trail winds through the birches, then there is a spot that looks like the trail ends. There is something that looks like a trail here going to the left, but it's not what you want to ride. You want to look straight downhill for a birch with a rock in front of it that looks like it might be fun to drop off. Just to the left of this tree the trail goes into some dense woods, then opens up a bit again and gets easy to follow. It goes downhill a few hundred feet, then traverses left. There is a little ramp up a rock at the end of this section that is another drop to flat, might not still be there though. The trail now goes slightly uphill, then down a chute that crosses a gully onto a bench. Stop here and scout the next section. The bench goes left and you come to a big rock perfect for launching onto an extremely steep transition. We call this the "death rock". It's worth walking down the hill to find where you need to exit (on the right) because the rest is rocks and you'll be carrying speed. This is one of 2 places where I actually needed my armor. From here down the trail is kind of vague, but pay attention and you should be able to follow it. There probably is still some green landscaping tape here and there to help. Eventually, after crossing a stream, going up a hill (on the left side) and passing to the left of some downed logs the trail will just end there in the middle of the woods. That's because if you head slightly left to a treeline and push through it and over the stone wall you'll be on the section of trail that connects to Christie Rd by going right (downhill), and to a dirt road (and the back trail to the top) by going left (uphill). Lots of users pass by here so I hid it good. First time allow yourself a couple hours of getting lost and cursing me, but once you know the trail and ride it as fast as possible I think you'll enjoy it! I'm hoping to get up there soon and will let you know when I do, a guided tour makes it a lot easier...

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:09 pm
Contributor

Some of my buddys rode in Goffstown yesterday...sounds like they had a good time. Hafta check it out...

Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:48 am
Contributor

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllright! I know this thread is really old, but....Been riding the SS trails a few times, figured this time I would try to find the "undescended testicle" trail. My buddy an I were definitely cursing the name of who built it! Made it so hard to find that even the mountain bikers can't find it!! Did 5 miles around North unc with NO luck. I'm sure it has been a while since the trail has been ridden though, as... most of the locals I've talked to that ride in the area have never even heard of such a trail. Every once in a while, while we were searching we came up to what looked like trail, but.... nothing that's been ridden in alooooooong time. Any info would be great!!

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:34 pm
Contributor

We PMed but I'll put it out there for others too. UT hasn't been ridden for over 3 years, during which time ice storms, snow storms, hurricanes and whatever have taken their toll. One guy was able to find it's entire length after a few tries, but it is toast. The stunts are all trashed or gone completely and the trail is brutal to follow. Breaks my heart having spent years working on it but that's life. As noted it was really well hidden, and that was on purpose because back in 2002 or so when it was in great shape there were a bunch of ATVers ripping the crap out of the mountain. We didn't want them to come across it and do the same, so yeah even when it was maintained you needed a guide to ride the whole thing. Wish I was still around there to revive it but gotta go where the work is. Used to be more stuff across from the jail in behind the police station; Bloody Finger trail etc. but I hear that's mostly gone now too...
Actually it's been 5 years for UT because after almost breaking my neck there I was off the bike for a few years...

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:31 pm
newB

I just moved back to the area after being away 10 years. I know the north peak well, as I grew up just up the street. I had never heard of this trail until I started looking for more info on riding in Goffstown. I would be interested in maybe doing some restoration work to bring it back to it's former glory. I live less than 5 mins away from the trailheads and I have experience in trail/feature building and maintainence (helped build Winter Park, CO's park). I'm going to go look for UT's remains sometime next week.
Is there anyone else who might be interested in taking on this project?

Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm