New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 am

2010 Lincoln Woods Trail Thread 

Post 2010 Lincoln Woods Trail Thread
I figured I would start off a new thread for the new year. I haven't been to LW in months. I know with the March rainfall LW is probably in bad need of some maintenance. Checking to see who is still around and ready to do some cleaning and riding. Gotta check in on the usual suspects - SKG, DB, Hoody, SmokeChokin', etc. You guys still alive? I am ready to start riding now that my life is back to normal.

If the weather looks good on Wednesday I may take a ride through and do some heavy stick/downfall removal and assessment. I figure the wallride/pond jump section is really bad. Just want to start with the bigger stuff and get a few others and start raking to dry out the trails.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 am
Contributor

Post Re: 2010 Lincoln Woods Trail Thread
rode LW yesterday. the wall ride trail is a nice little stream(water still flowing) and the pond at the pond drop looked a little bigger than normal. the trail gap also looked a bit wider than usual, looked like that trail had lots of water rippin' down it as well. the trails past the coaster, Tuesday(maybe) looked as if someone had been doing an excellent raking job. everything looked pretty good for the most part but the tranny of the 9 footer could use some love, but it didn't stop me from hitting it.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:16 pm
Contributor

Post Re: Lincoln Woods State Park Information
Just posting this again for all the newbies and uniformed riders out there.

The purpose of this thread is to keep all trail riders informed of the activity happening within the park. Trail rides, trail maintence days, trail conditions, and bike events and such will/can be posted here on a regular basis.

If your looking for more information on the park and what it offers you can click here for the RI State Park guide, Lincoln Woods.

If your looking to visit Lincoln Woods, there are two entrance/address to enter the park. There is an alternate entrance that is easier to get to, right off the highway than the official main entrance, which is located off Breakneck Hill Road(Rt.123). Use the Twin River Road exit off Rt.146. You can use the address for the horse stable, which neighbors the park, as a mapping address for the alternate entrance, Sunset Stables.

Additionally, there is a section of the park, referenced as zone A, that is off limits to mountain bikers, signs are posted, please respect this signage . The majority of the bike trails, 90%, are located in zone B. A basic map of Lincoln Woods can be found here, Zone Map.

As for the type of trails at Lincoln Woods, there are XC trails and loops, as well as heavy smattering of freeride trails. No matter which you are into be forewarned that the trails are technical, rock strewn, steep, and unforgiving. Lots of grinding climbs and screaming downs.

Enjoy

Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 am
Contributor

Post Re: New Bike Shop in Town.
Just wanted to give a shout out to the new LBS in Lincoln, headed up by two fellow Bustedspoke members, bdee and iafr8e. Blackstone Bicycles is located in the heart of Lincoln just minutes away from Lincoln Woods and the Blackstone Valley Bike Path. They got they blog thing happening, check them out at Blackstone Bicycles Blog Spot. They also got a Tuesday evening shop ride going on, leave 6pm from the shop and hit LW for a trail loop.

Blackstone Bicycles
179 Front St.
Lincoln, RI 02865

Phone is 401-335-3163

Hours:

Monday closed
Tue 12-5:30
Wed-Friday 11-7
Sat 10-6
Sun 12-5

Email: blackstonebicycles@gmail.com

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:26 am
Contributor

Trail status as of this evening;

Open and clean;

Snake Trail
Tuesday
V-Twin
Dog Leg Trail (lower drop is mucky)
Medic
Dragon
RollerCoaster
Wallride

Unconfirmed;
7Footer
Crazy Train
Purple Panties

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Wow someone has been busy. Good to know where to start...

SKG are you still able to ride on Wednesdays? I plan to be there this Sunday morning.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:01 am
Contributor

Wednesdays are still good for me, was there last night. Not sure about this sunday though.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:22 am
Contributor

Crazy Train and Purple Panties are both ready to ride. Teeter and 7footer are the only trails left to be groomed. Wednesday evenings and Sunday morning rides should be underway.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Wow. I haven't been there or ridden a big bike since like last September. I think the time has now arrived.... I plan to be ther this Sunday morning and Wednesdays. I no longer have to teach on Wednesdays so I can be there pretty much all summer. I will rake whatever is left on Sunday then ride...

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:48 am

Sunday May 2. 7:30am. Main Parking Lot. Be there.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:16 am
Contributor

What's up guys? Should be another month of recovery before I'm cleared to ride. I'm moving to Mansfield, MA this weekend so I won't be 5 min away from LW anymore :sad: Once I start riding again I probably won't be able to make it during the week, and I'll probably do some occasional Sundays.

We should try to set-up a dedicated trail maintenance day sometime soon to focus on a lot of the things we talked about last season - rebuilding the 7ft tranny, the 9ft tranny, beefing up the tranny at the end of Purple Panty, etc.

Thoughts?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:26 am

I figured I would give a trail report from Sunday. Every trail we hit was perfect conditions. The ground has dried out nicely and it is not dusty. Pretty much all of the cleaned trails are perfect. I met up with a few guys from Worcester (Derek, Jay and Brandon I believe?). It was a good session. The trails that were cleaned were ripping fast. Thanks to all so far that have raked.

I didn't get a chance to rake the last few trails. Also didn't look at the Tuesday/Crime Scene/V-Twin/Snake Trail areas.

Kyle good call on the meet/build day. How about Sunday May 16th? Maybe a final raking and fixing up a few of the needed transitions. Here is a short list:

Rake the remaining areas.
9 footer - just needs some dirt to cover the rockbed.
7-footer - Probably needs a rebuild but we could just redo the top I think.
Dog Leg - Just needs the dirt moved back to the top from washing down.
Super Bowl - That sucka needs dirt.
Purple Panty - Needs the first rock drop (right side) redone and the last drop (high side) filled with dirt.

With a few people on hand we could rake all the rest of the trails and tackle these fixes easily. Then we can enjoy the park all summer and start some new projects like the V-Twin landing area.

Tue May 04, 2010 12:33 pm
Contributor

Trail days are always good. Couldn't make it out last sunday, glad everyone had a good ride. Pretty sure at this point all the trails are raked and cleaned. The only area might be the teeter area, just have not been up there yet to investigate.

I would agree to all the trail updates you listed D, with the exception of the 7-footer drop, it looks worse than it is (its actually pretty smooth). Purple Panties definetly needs the trannies worked. Did you happen to notice the tweek i made to the Wall-Ride trail?

Anyone in for tomorrow (wednesday) evening?

Tue May 04, 2010 11:11 pm

SKG I did notice the new section on the Wall Ride. I missed at though when I blew through.... Can't make Wednesday this week.

Wed May 05, 2010 7:52 am
Contributor

Rick, sorry not getting on here sooner to say so but thanks for the plug. Brendan and I really appreciate it. We can use any help we can get getting the word about about the shop.

The trails are looking good. Thanks for all your hard work. Hopefully I can make it one of these Sunday mornings to join you guys.

Also, if anyone wants to get a good xc ride in, we host a NEMBA ride from the shop at 6 every Tuesday unless it's raining. Harpoon hooked us up with 10 cases of IPA and UFO so post ride refreshments are on us. :drinking:

Hope to see you guys out there.

"To find your limits, you must first go beyond them."

Tue May 11, 2010 11:57 pm