New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:37 am

Big River XC rides every Thursday 

Post Big River XC rides every Thursday
So after getting back into the XC scene with a new 29'er, there is a HUGE group of riders that head out to Big River every Thursday. Known as the Big River Bat Patrol, there is a goup of riders that lead different speed/capability rides on Thursdays. There is a group that heads out around 4:30, does a warm-up and returns back by 6pm. Then the 6pm group heads out for a longer ride that sometimes goes into a bit of a night ride. There is also another group that heads out at 5:30 and returns before dark.

2 weeks in a row now at the Burnt Sawmill street parking we have ridden. Each time my buddy and I missed the group start so we did our own ride. After not riding in Big River for about 10+ years, I quickly realized that we need to go with a group to relearn the new trails. I know the old trails but really they are not ridden and I like to ride trails that have been maintained/ridden a bit. I must say last night there were about 50 cars. I have never seen Big River with so many riders. It is truly awesome. Lots of good guys to ride with.

So if you are looking for a number of different paced rides, Thursday at Big River is the place to be. You can show up and find either the relaxed ride, the intermediate or fast paced rides. You be the judge on your own capabilities.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:40 pm
Contributor

Post Re: Big River XC rides every Thursday
You going to post up any pics of this 29" wonder machine?

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:04 am

Ha. As soon as my Thomson stem arrives.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:27 pm
Contributor

the new trails are pretty damn great and have made Big River an awesome place to ride XC. it's come such a long way it's almost not the same place. real mtb single track and not the old over grown roads and double track of old(although you have to do some of that to get to the new stuff, but...) i ride there two or three times a week at different starting points to mix it up... i'll show the goods if you want, let me know... normally a 12-15 mile loop at a good pace( relax climbing, bomb on flats and down, with little to no stops)

29er huh? i destroy 26" wheels don't know what i'd do to those big things... seems lots of folks are going that way. but if everyone is jumping off a bridge doesn't mean i'm going to... unless it's supposed to be jumped off of 8-)

Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 pm
Contributor

Is this in West Greenwich? I am not from RI, I would very interested in this ride. Just gotta figure out where it is.

Sinister Mob wrote:
So after getting back into the XC scene with a new 29'er, there is a HUGE group of riders that head out to Big River every Thursday. Known as the Big River Bat Patrol, there is a goup of riders that lead different speed/capability rides on Thursdays. There is a group that heads out around 4:30, does a warm-up and returns back by 6pm. Then the 6pm group heads out for a longer ride that sometimes goes into a bit of a night ride. There is also another group that heads out at 5:30 and returns before dark.

2 weeks in a row now at the Burnt Sawmill street parking we have ridden. Each time my buddy and I missed the group start so we did our own ride. After not riding in Big River for about 10+ years, I quickly realized that we need to go with a group to relearn the new trails. I know the old trails but really they are not ridden and I like to ride trails that have been maintained/ridden a bit. I must say last night there were about 50 cars. I have never seen Big River with so many riders. It is truly awesome. Lots of good guys to ride with.

So if you are looking for a number of different paced rides, Thursday at Big River is the place to be. You can show up and find either the relaxed ride, the intermediate or fast paced rides. You be the judge on your own capabilities.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:18 am
Contributor

This sounds Amazing! I cannot wait to get back into Big River. I had so many good times there before moving out to Vail, CO. and Fruita, CO. Now Im back and gonna get me some.

PS 29er is were its at!

Peace

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Greenedog - Yes this is in West Greenwich, RI. It is right off of 95. I believe Exit 7 for the Park and Ride spot and Exit 6 for Burnt Sawmill parking. Most people park at Burnt Sawmill. Take Exit 6 and bear left onto Rt 3. Right after the overpass is a parking lot. That road is Burnt Sawmill. Park along that area.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:36 pm
Contributor

I am gonna try to hit it up today! Keep an eye out for my black banshee rune with red wheels...thats me!!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 am
Contributor

I saw that bike on the highway last week...looks nice. I don't ride with the big group but will be there today around 4:19...

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:06 am
Contributor

Ordered my new whip.... Should be in early next week! If so see you on thursday. Its a Trek GF Rumblefish Peace

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:10 pm
Contributor

Ordered my new whip.... Should be in early next week! If so see you on thursday. Its a Trek GF Rumblefish Peace

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:11 pm

larry wrote:
I saw that bike on the highway last week...looks nice. I don't ride with the big group but will be there today around 4:19...

Larry - you saw my bike? It is nothing special, just a Stumpy Comp 29'er. My first complete production bike in a loooooong time. I like it though.

Fish - get that rig in ASAP. I thought you were getting a HiFi something or other?

On Thursday we hit up the Tarbox Pond area and hit some secret trails. Unbelievable trails. I cannot desccribe how amazing these trails were. I went with a few guys who know the good and secret stuff. I don't think I have ever seen such perfectly groomed and cleaned trails. It is like Lincoln Woods when we clean the FR trails then immediately ride them. There wasn't a stick or leave on the entire section. Truly amazing. I am starting to really love the XC stuff again. It won't replace FR and DH, but so much fun.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:01 pm
Contributor

my bad Derek, i saw the banshee...

i have been riding a trek fuel, best XC bike i've ever had. if i ever buy a hardtail not to dirt jump or a 29er, first person i see that may have read this will be allowed to beat me with the damn thing... 8-)

Mon May 02, 2011 7:57 pm
Contributor

oh larry, im saving all your comments on the shop computer. that way when you decide you want to be cool and get a 32" wheeled, brakeless, rigid-forked, sturmey-archer 3speeded, bamboo-frame all terrain bicycle(with a custom "hello kitty" paint scheme), i can print them out on nice glossy paper, roll it up, and flog you over the head.

and if you ask me(obviously you wouldnt), not taking part in a "trend" for the sake of not being "trendy" is kinda, well, trendy.

Mon May 09, 2011 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor

bamboo sounds kind of cool... hello kitty is awesome.

i'm so over it... and hope or wish so will everyone else, is all... i'm not going to wear my sister's pants at the skate park anytime either...

Wed May 11, 2011 2:31 pm