New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:47 pm

NEwb lookin for help... 
Contributor

Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
I would focus on a new bike and used tools. Like Guppy said, you can do most work with basic tools. And unless you plan on riding alone you should be able to leech off your friends for a bit til you gather enough tools to cover yourself.
So on a new bike. A buddy of mine just picked up a brand new GT Fury off Pinkbike for $1800.
He's primarily using it for DH so weight wasn't a big concern. There's lots of stuff out there if you don't want someone else's used stuff.
For instance
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1261526/
Good dh bike.
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1181543/
A little more woods friendly and certainly cheaper. Plus some gear.
You could certainly swap either out next year and not take too big of a hit.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile YIM
Contributor

That package deal seems like a bargain.

Not sure about wearing any pads that were worn by anyone other than KonaClump. I heard his used pads can make you faster. <insert joke here>

Did not work for me, probably on account of his armor being way too f*** small for me. I was shocked to find out I am a fat tub compared to that speedy little bastard. :crazyeyes:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:34 pm
Contributor

Yea the Stinky package seems like a good deal but when you figga out the Canadian to US Dollar conversion, you may be better off buying a Huffy.

Based upon my fuzzy Obama math, if you go to yer local band and ask for a $1500 bank check in Canadian Dollars, you better hand the teller....wait, let me carry the 5, then add the two, then subtrack the beer tax........ok, my math comes out to $7865.25 not including the $325 USD it will cost to ship the package here from East Drink a 7.5% Alcohol Canned Labatt's Beer, Canada.

Or you could just buy my bike:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/3556195776.html

What a shameless f'n self promoting plug.

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 pm
Contributor

Correction, buy Antmav's bike, that thing is sweet, and I know he doesn't beat on his bike, too much of a p***y. :lol:

With a 3k budget you still have plenty to buy helmet/pads and complete set of Park Bike Tools. :shock:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:09 pm
newB

For sure id like to pounce on that…looks like a sick bike! but Im stuck in limbo for a bit here with a 14' water missle racing paddleboard that may not sell til Spring. :roll:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 pm
Contributor

I think Ant needs a paddle board. Dude has no idea how to control a set of floaties so a paddleboard seems like a great idea. Save him some cash when it comes to Coast Guard rescue missions.

Rumor has it that he is one of those eccentric crazy millionaires that takes a shine to a person and changes his will to make the random person he took a shine to rich. He's kinda f*** like that.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:31 pm
Contributor

Guppy wrote:
I think Ant needs a paddle board. Dude has no idea how to control a set of floaties so a paddleboard seems like a great idea. Save him some cash when it comes to Coast Guard rescue missions.

Rumor has it that he is one of those eccentric crazy millionaires that takes a shine to a person and changes his will to make the random person he took a shine to rich. He's kinda f*** like that.

I hear antmav will take "personal" favors in exchange for bike parts. Maybe you can offer to shave his back and legs for a free bike.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm
Contributor

dark mavis wrote:
Guppy wrote:

I hear antmav will take "personal" favors in exchange for bike parts. Maybe you can offer to shave his back and legs for a free bike.

Paddleboarding, back waxing, will changing :infinity: , and personal favors are all part of my weekend schedule.........along with back-kicking hipsters and pimping out Digglers.

I'd imagine some sections of Catch'em and Double Vision may be easier on a paddleboard too.

I'm glad Gup is back on the scene dammitawl.

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:54 pm
Contributor

antmav wrote:
dark mavis wrote:
Guppy wrote:

Paddleboarding, back waxing, will changing :infinity: , and personal favors are all part of my weekend schedule.........along with back-kicking hipsters and pimping out Digglers.

I'd imagine some sections of Catch'em and Double Vision may be easier on a paddleboard too.

I'm glad Gup is back on the scene dammitawl.
Sweet schedule Ant.

You are definitely right about a paddle-board being better suited to some sections of Double Vision.

I was never gone from the scene, I just operate in the shadows. Part of a shady CIA-type MTB/Mofo cadre that controls the community from outside the bounds of law. You know, kinda like the A-Team. I would be Howling Mad Murdock, JayDell is Face, Dennis' Dad is Hanibal, he loves it when a plan come's together and Paul is B.A. Barrakus. Or something like that.....

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 pm
Contributor

paddle-board being better suited to some sections of Double Vision... :shock: guppy's gap might not be a bad paddle.:oops:....

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 am
Contributor

4130wraith wrote:
paddle-board being better suited to some sections of Double Vision... :shock: guppy's gap might not be a bad paddle.:oops:....
It couldn't go any worse on a paddle board. :crazyeyes:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:25 pm