New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:47 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 NEwb lookin for help... 
Author Message
Contributor

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:58 pm
Posts: 54
Location: DANVERS, MA
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
I would focus on a new bike and used tools. Like Guppy said, you can do most work with basic tools. And unless you plan on riding alone you should be able to leech off your friends for a bit til you gather enough tools to cover yourself.
So on a new bike. A buddy of mine just picked up a brand new GT Fury off Pinkbike for $1800.
He's primarily using it for DH so weight wasn't a big concern. There's lots of stuff out there if you don't want someone else's used stuff.
For instance
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1261526/
Good dh bike.
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1181543/
A little more woods friendly and certainly cheaper. Plus some gear.
You could certainly swap either out next year and not take too big of a hit.


Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile YIM
Contributor

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 am
Posts: 22
Location: On the losing end of a wishbone
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
That package deal seems like a bargain.

Not sure about wearing any pads that were worn by anyone other than KonaClump. I heard his used pads can make you faster. <insert joke here>

Did not work for me, probably on account of his armor being way too f*** small for me. I was shocked to find out I am a fat tub compared to that speedy little bastard. :crazyeyes:

_________________
Warmed up my motor, swindled the promoter, took the lunatics for a ride........


Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:34 pm
Profile
Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Ayer, Ma
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
Yea the Stinky package seems like a good deal but when you figga out the Canadian to US Dollar conversion, you may be better off buying a Huffy.

Based upon my fuzzy Obama math, if you go to yer local band and ask for a $1500 bank check in Canadian Dollars, you better hand the teller....wait, let me carry the 5, then add the two, then subtrack the beer tax........ok, my math comes out to $7865.25 not including the $325 USD it will cost to ship the package here from East Drink a 7.5% Alcohol Canned Labatt's Beer, Canada.

Or you could just buy my bike:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/3556195776.html

What a shameless f'n self promoting plug.

_________________
Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
Sinister R9, Sinister DNA, Intense 6.6, Jamis Xam

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder


Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 pm
Profile
Contributor

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 am
Posts: 22
Location: On the losing end of a wishbone
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
Correction, buy Antmav's bike, that thing is sweet, and I know he doesn't beat on his bike, too much of a p***y. :lol:

With a 3k budget you still have plenty to buy helmet/pads and complete set of Park Bike Tools. :shock:

_________________
Warmed up my motor, swindled the promoter, took the lunatics for a ride........


Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:09 pm
Profile
newB

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm
Posts: 7
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
For sure id like to pounce on that…looks like a sick bike! but Im stuck in limbo for a bit here with a 14' water missle racing paddleboard that may not sell til Spring. :roll:


Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 pm
Profile
Contributor

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 am
Posts: 22
Location: On the losing end of a wishbone
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
I think Ant needs a paddle board. Dude has no idea how to control a set of floaties so a paddleboard seems like a great idea. Save him some cash when it comes to Coast Guard rescue missions.

Rumor has it that he is one of those eccentric crazy millionaires that takes a shine to a person and changes his will to make the random person he took a shine to rich. He's kinda f*** like that.

_________________
Warmed up my motor, swindled the promoter, took the lunatics for a ride........


Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:31 pm
Profile
Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:15 pm
Posts: 276
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
Guppy wrote:
I think Ant needs a paddle board. Dude has no idea how to control a set of floaties so a paddleboard seems like a great idea. Save him some cash when it comes to Coast Guard rescue missions.

Rumor has it that he is one of those eccentric crazy millionaires that takes a shine to a person and changes his will to make the random person he took a shine to rich. He's kinda f*** like that.

I hear antmav will take "personal" favors in exchange for bike parts. Maybe you can offer to shave his back and legs for a free bike.

_________________
I love my bike, maybe a little too much....


Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 pm
Profile
Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:55 pm
Posts: 168
Location: Ayer, Ma
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
dark mavis wrote:
Guppy wrote:
I think Ant needs a paddle board. Dude has no idea how to control a set of floaties so a paddleboard seems like a great idea. Save him some cash when it comes to Coast Guard rescue missions.

Rumor has it that he is one of those eccentric crazy millionaires that takes a shine to a person and changes his will to make the random person he took a shine to rich. He's kinda f*** like that.

I hear antmav will take "personal" favors in exchange for bike parts. Maybe you can offer to shave his back and legs for a free bike.


Paddleboarding, back waxing, will changing :infinity: , and personal favors are all part of my weekend schedule.........along with back-kicking hipsters and pimping out Digglers.

I'd imagine some sections of Catch'em and Double Vision may be easier on a paddleboard too.

I'm glad Gup is back on the scene dammitawl.

_________________
Slaphead Mofo Leisure Team
Sinister R9, Sinister DNA, Intense 6.6, Jamis Xam

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder


Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:54 pm
Profile
Contributor

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 am
Posts: 22
Location: On the losing end of a wishbone
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
antmav wrote:
dark mavis wrote:
Guppy wrote:
I think Ant needs a paddle board. Dude has no idea how to control a set of floaties so a paddleboard seems like a great idea. Save him some cash when it comes to Coast Guard rescue missions.

Rumor has it that he is one of those eccentric crazy millionaires that takes a shine to a person and changes his will to make the random person he took a shine to rich. He's kinda f*** like that.

I hear antmav will take "personal" favors in exchange for bike parts. Maybe you can offer to shave his back and legs for a free bike.


Paddleboarding, back waxing, will changing :infinity: , and personal favors are all part of my weekend schedule.........along with back-kicking hipsters and pimping out Digglers.

I'd imagine some sections of Catch'em and Double Vision may be easier on a paddleboard too.

I'm glad Gup is back on the scene dammitawl.
Sweet schedule Ant.

You are definitely right about a paddle-board being better suited to some sections of Double Vision.

I was never gone from the scene, I just operate in the shadows. Part of a shady CIA-type MTB/Mofo cadre that controls the community from outside the bounds of law. You know, kinda like the A-Team. I would be Howling Mad Murdock, JayDell is Face, Dennis' Dad is Hanibal, he loves it when a plan come's together and Paul is B.A. Barrakus. Or something like that.....

_________________
Warmed up my motor, swindled the promoter, took the lunatics for a ride........


Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:48 pm
Profile
Contributor

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:03 pm
Posts: 159
Location: Here
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
paddle-board being better suited to some sections of Double Vision... :shock: guppy's gap might not be a bad paddle.:oops:....


Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 am
Profile
Contributor

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 am
Posts: 22
Location: On the losing end of a wishbone
Post Re: NEwb lookin for help...
4130wraith wrote:
paddle-board being better suited to some sections of Double Vision... :shock: guppy's gap might not be a bad paddle.:oops:....
It couldn't go any worse on a paddle board. :crazyeyes:

_________________
Warmed up my motor, swindled the promoter, took the lunatics for a ride........


Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:25 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

All material Copyright © 2002 BustedSpoke.com, All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement to our Terms of Use.