New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:03 pm

26 vs. 27.5 vs. 29 
newB

Post Re: 26 vs. 27.5 vs. 29
I take the BB height then add the distance from BB to eye level added to the elevation of where my tires leave the ground ( so I am beginning with a 5'-6" drop before leaving the ground), then finally I just judge the time between take off and landing added to my 5'-6"drop original measurement .......
Its a bit of embellishment on my part but it makes me feel good about myself......

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:49 pm
Contributor

You have to figure in how much pot you smoked before and during the ride. I can easily be riding as high as 20k feet on any given ride,especially when I ride from the Lost Lake area.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 pm
Contributor

dark mavis wrote:
OK, your length and rise stem does not matter. Rocking the specialized FSR with the 24" rear wheel detracts from the total vertical footage you can claim on your drop.

Riding a bike with different wheel sizes front and back is like trying to make babies with one testicle.

So if Stork, launches the DD rocking a rear 24" and front 29", using flats, and wearing a full face, how do you measure the distance?

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:08 pm
Contributor

antmav wrote:
dark mavis wrote:
OK, your length and rise stem does not matter. Rocking the specialized FSR with the 24" rear wheel detracts from the total vertical footage you can claim on your drop.

Riding a bike with different wheel sizes front and back is like trying to make babies with one testicle.

So if Stork, launches the DD rocking a rear 24" and front 29", using flats, and wearing a full face, how do you measure the distance?

OK. you measure the drop from the point of apogee, since the DD is a jump and not a straight drop. If he sucks the bike up into him, the the drop is from the highest elevation of the rear wheel to the landing, where both wheel are on the ground. You have to penalize him, since he's as q**** as a two-headed nickel. Maybe 3", to match his penis size....

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:03 pm
Contributor

All business in the front and a party in the back yo! ...and if Dave hooks me up with one of his PB&J' sandwiches I'm skying!

Now that I'm skying...what about if I also have one of those adjustable on the fly seat post thingys? It's up when I take off, but then adjust it down before I land?

"Assembly of Mofo. Father Slaphead holding service every Wednesday evening with sacremental beer blessings for all."-Mavis

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 am
Contributor

The only thing that is different with a 29er is the axles are farther from the ground and the bottom bracket is lower on that imaginary axle line to compensate witch gives you better balance on a 29er but BB height stays the same height from the ground. so a drop is a drop no mater what size wheel. If anything the 29er wont dig into the ground as much as a 26inch bike. It really depends on how much pot you smoke on the trails.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:52 pm
Contributor

I agree about the pot.

But besides a kick in da nutz...would the drop be bigger with the Diggler? Look at the PURPetrator kit! :crazyeyes: :drinking:

"Assembly of Mofo. Father Slaphead holding service every Wednesday evening with sacremental beer blessings for all."-Mavis

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:05 pm
Contributor

Ok, so if ya launch or drop a Diggler, it all depends on if ya rock regular BMX bars or sport the extra tall bars.

The internets says ya measure a Diggler drop from the skidplate to the first place the 20" wheel hits dirt...................or the first spot yer head cracks the dirt after slipping off the horribly worn grip-taped deck. Either will work.

BTW, ya get bonus points if ya wearing Shape-Ups. :mrgreen:

I saw ya get bonus point for nutting-up and attempting a shuttle run on a 20" wheeled scooter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:30 pm
Contributor

Just stepping foot onto a Diggler drops you into a world of man-on-man sex. Their that fruity. No matter the height of the drop you land with a mouth full of pink steel.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:50 pm
Contributor

Yup no adult looks right on a scooter, so I painted one pink and the other one purple and never without shape-up suspension to look the part. PinkorPurpetrator in full effect!

...but's who's worse the Dig'r or the DH'r trailin behind ya? :mrgreen:

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:13 pm
Contributor

Hey I thought the man on man sex club membership manual exclusively mandates ownership of a 29er and a flashy matching kit (including socks, bibknickers, zipdown jersey, wind vest, arm warmers, fingerless gloves, and headband).

...................owning a Diggler only gets you probationary status into the club.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:29 am
Contributor

The DH'r who can't keep up becomes an instant bottom. This also makes the diggler pilot a mega-hetero-dinosaur.
Owning a diggler,especially admitting it openly just blows the closet doors right off the friggin' hinges.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:48 am
Contributor

DAVID J wrote:
Just stepping foot onto a Diggler drops you into a world of man-on-man sex. Their that fruity. No matter the height of the drop you land with a mouth full of pink steel.

I was trying to be nice and not pointing this out. seriously, diggler dudes are as bad as fruitbooters. make sure you bring your diggler to Rye Airfield and practice your whips.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm
Contributor

Now now guys...where's the deversity? :lol: How does a drop measure up with a WhiteWolf Burro bike?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 pm
Contributor

According to the Native American Puke Bros. 3rd Edition Trail Work Manual, you measure the drop from the bottom of the Pulaski sleeve to the top of the looper rack.................or from the top of the annoying flute to the bottom ring of The Ramblin' One's Rasta socks.

Dammitawl, I miss the White Wolf. :cry:

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 pm