New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 pm

smahtphone as cyclococomputah 
Contributor

Post smahtphone as cyclococomputah
Hey, so I'm trying to get my fat a** to the gym and maybe even on a giant happy dildo, whoops, I mean road bike! sorry.

any of you guys have any experience using a smartphone as a cyclocomputer? I was thinking to get a heart rate monitor strap with bluetooth, so I can use my phone as a HRM. Then I started seeing all this stuff for mounting phones to a bike and using GPS to map rides, and measuring speed/power/cadence. anyone have any useful experience or snide remarks?

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:07 pm
Contributor

Post Re: smahtphone as cyclococomputah
Generally speaking, you're permitted to use a smart phone bar mount carrier on your road bike if:

Your stem has positive rise
You use a bento box, and it's full
Your seat is lower than your handlebars

If you qualify, mount (your phone) away. You're off the fvcking deep end already. If you don't qualify, it means you shave your legs, and think not subscribing the above mentioned list makes you look euro as fvck. In which case, you're off the fvcking deep end for taking road bikes too seriously. :lol:

The smartphone apps work pretty well. Even in tree cover areas, they're still pretty darn accurate. Use away. My only advice is to invest in a box of small 100cal ziplock snack bags to keep your phone in if you plan to keep it in your jersey pocket. It'll keep the sweat/rain from killing your phone, and you can still use the touch screen through the bag. Works well.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 am
Contributor

Post Re: smahtphone as cyclococomputah
Mavis,
Forget the phone, gps, psychocomputers, HR monitors, and mounts..............just grab a Bento Box and a pair of fingerless gloves. The Bento Box will make you fast as crap and the fingerless gloves will have a slimming effect when you stop to fill your 'water' bottles at the Redhook Brewery!

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am