New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:38 am

New Hoops - Give me some thoughts - 650b Anyone 
Contributor

Post New Hoops - Give me some thoughts - 650b Anyone
I’ve never bought a decent wheelset but I may break down. Looking to shed some weight from the current Azonic Outlaws with 2.5” Minions and downhill tubes (haven’t had a flat in 8 years).

Got a new bike that can run almost anything including 650b in the back end. It intrigues me so I may give that a whirl.

I’m 240-245+ geared up. Will be using it at Lynn, Fort Rock and Vietnam. The odd drop up to 5 foot if I’m feeling manly.

The usual goal…strong….light as possible and cheap as possible.

Was thinking of trying this tubeless trend.

Stans Flow EX vs. WTB I23 vs ???

I’m running a 36 tooth cassette so I need a steel freehub which excludes the DT Swiss unless I want to pony up another $80 and excludes the Hope.

I’m not up for spending the big $$’s if the cheaper hubs work almost as well.

Any experience with White Industries Mi6 hubs? I’ve seen builders that can get them to do your door for about $550 ready for tubeless on the Stans Flow. They had 24pt engagement.

Hadley was about $650. The Hadley seems to be pretty good if you ever want to switch out axel sizes.

King was about $750. Sounds like you have to do a little maintenance in the first month or so and they need special tools? Also, not as convertible as the Hadley.

I’m leaning towards Hadley right now…not sure on the rim.

Has anyone run a 650b on a FOX36 Van 180 (spaced down to 170). I know they fit but most folks seem to be putting 2.25 2.30’s in there. I wouldn’t mind being able to get something a little meatier but don’t want to rub.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 am
Contributor

Post Re: New Hoops - Give me some thoughts - 650b Anyone
doesn't azonic outlaws come in 650b now?

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:05 pm
Contributor

They do.

I wouldn't mind something a little lighter, tubeless and with better engagement though.

I tried to run the 26" Outlaws tubless and wasn't entirely successful.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm
Contributor

I've had really good luck DH'ing on ghetto tubeless using outlaws. I go about 2 months before I have to tear the tubeless setup apart and replace the 20" tube & notubes sauce.

I'm getting a set of these rims built up on some old azonic hubs for DH'ing. I'm kind of a guineau pig for my LBS. $200 per rim
http://www.light-bicycle.com

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 pm
Contributor

Per rim? Really Mavis...You should know the parts of the bicycle by now. Birdman at 240 and 5 ft drops you can't ride light stuff... Any money you "save" will be spent replacing stuff. The Stan's rims are great. If I were you I'd get the Stan's flow in 26 inch and be done.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:04 am
Contributor

4130wraith wrote:
Per rim? Really Mavis...You should know the parts of the bicycle by now. Birdman at 240 and 5 ft drops you can't ride light stuff... Any money you "save" will be spent replacing stuff. The Stan's rims are great. If I were you I'd get the Stan's flow in 26 inch and be done.

Funny...I clicked on the link...saw carbon and hit the X. Carbon scares me.

I've been leaning towards the Flow in 650b with Hadley...maybe King hubs.

I know I can run a 650b in the front with a Fox 36 but I haven't been able to find if I can run a larger volume tire. It's a VAN 180 shortened to 170.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 pm
Contributor

4130wraith wrote:

I like being a techno-guineau pig. But you're right, it'll probably end up on my trail bike and last one season of pedaling only when the mtns are closed. Having said that, I'm 230lb and the Flow rims have held up well on my trail bike, which includes an occasional s*** run and lots of rock stomping in Exeter.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:03 pm
Contributor

Sorry Mavis... I'm sure they'll be fine... :roll: I have 650 flows on hope hubs on my trail bike. http://www.wraithbicycles.com/bicycles.aspx?bid=30 but I only weight 165. You'll prob. Be o.k. But will need to be smooth. Also if you need to you can trim some of the price off the hubs.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 pm
Contributor

That 6-Fiddy looks good, Daren. Nice work.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 am
Contributor

I've seen good deals on the Flow EX with the Hope but if I'm not mistaking it's not a steel freehub. I'm running a 36t casette and I'm heavy which made me hesitant.

Saw some good deals with White Industries also. Don't know alot about them but from what I've read they are pretty good.

I may just suck it up and get the Hadley's everyone seems to love them. I've come across a guy on mtbr that folks seemed to like who can have them built up and hipped tubeless ready for $700. Seems decent enough.

Just got to find the biggest tire I can jam in a fox 36 Van 170mm with the 650b.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm
Contributor

Thanks Sparky! Birdman my only concern would be that your wanting 650 cause you "want it" not cause you "need it". See you weight 240+, do drops, and are retrofitting a bike not designed for the wheel size. The 650 rolls better but at the expense of durability, technical prowess and balance. Your weight and the wheel size can be accommodated but really needs to be executed on the proper chassis fork combo. Your fork would need AT LEAST an inch of clearance between the tire and fork arch (with 26ers) to work and not have rock hit the arch when they stick to the tire. Not sure what the new bike is but besides clearance can you adjust the geometry to work with the larger wheels?

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:33 pm
Contributor

4130wraith wrote:
Thanks Sparky! Birdman my only concern would be that your wanting 650 cause you "want it" not cause you "need it". See you weight 240+, do drops, and are retrofitting a bike not designed for the wheel size. The 650 rolls better but at the expense of durability, technical prowess and balance. Your weight and the wheel size can be accommodated but really needs to be executed on the proper chassis fork combo. Your fork would need AT LEAST an inch of clearance between the tire and fork arch (with 26ers) to work and not have rock hit the arch when they stick to the tire. Not sure what the new bike is but besides clearance can you adjust the geometry to work with the larger wheels?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Its the new Banshee Rune. The bike is 650b compatible. I got two sets of dropouts. The 650b ones are supposed to maintain geometry. I can tweak it with some flip chips on the back end also up to a degree.

I'll do drops but I'm not doing them all day long and nothing too large. Having said that I'm pretty hard on stuff just due to the weight.

Your right though...I'm intrigued by 650. I like the idea of rolling over a few things easier and getting the bottom bracket up a little.

Will have to do a bunch of thinking over the weekend.

I've been reading all over and the Fox 36 is being used by a lot of guys with 650b. Nowhere near an inch though....probably closer to 3/8 - 1/2. That is my biggest concern. Looks like they can fit a hans damph 2.35 in there which looks to be a pretty meaty tire.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 pm