New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:43 am

Do people still ride 26" 
newB

Post Do people still ride 26"
Hey folks - Been out of the game for a few years (5 or so?) - Been riding dirt bikes...After a torn MCL and a plateau fracture of my tibea (4 months on crutches, 18" scar, metal plate etc). Think its time to get back to pedaling...

I have a Turner 5 pack (5 spot triangle, 6 pack rear). its a TNT link, CCDB shock, PUSH'd Pike, Mavic tubeless wheels, Hope disc brakes etc etc. Frames a little scratched but thats just paint.

Also have a nice Turner Highline (Granny Smith green), Totem single crown fork, Fox 5.0 shock, Outlaw wheels, Saint all around ( I have to actually take a look to remember all the bits - but you get the idea). This is the perfect Highland , Nam bike. I really didnt get to ride it much - less than 15x. Great shape.

I figure Ill buy a 29er (always loved Turner so I guess Ill look there first), I dont want to buy something new until I sell these (otherwise Ill never sell them). My question is: do people still ride the 26"? These were killer builds a few years ago but what should I ask? I'll put this on the classified but I want to price correcltly.

Thanks for your thoughts - excited to be back (cant believe I forgot my username and password and had to start over!)!

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:02 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Do people still ride 26"
I'm sure people still ride 26er but I have to say when I scored my stump jumper 29 I would never want to go back.
It was an odd ride for the first couple of days but after that I could tear through so much stuff.

The only thing I find odd is my peddle clearance appears to be a little smaller. Other than that this is an awesome bike.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:16 pm
Contributor

Mt biking took a back seat for me, too, for a few years. Now that I'm back, there's a lot that has changed!

I think you'll find that it's not just the wheel size that makes your bikes "old". There's wheel size, tapered steerer tubes, different hubs/axles, narrow/wide chain rings, 10 and 11 speed drive trains... The problem with older bikes is that you can no longer find new parts that work with the frames/builds.

So, whomever buys your bikes is going to have to live with the bikes as you have them spec'd. Or be facing pretty significant costs to make the change. For instance, if they want a new fork for the Highline, they'd be looking at a new fork, headset, front hub/wheel, and possible stem and handlebar.

But working in your favor - bikes are WAAAAY more expensive now than they were a few years ago. That seems to have had an effect on the used bike market, and bikes seem to be selling for more than I would expect.

I'd suggest looking at used bikes on Pinkbike or other online classifieds (that get more traffic than this one!), and see how similar bikes are asking/selling. I bet you'll find someone like me, a little old school, that recognizes your bikes for what they are, and would want them.

-Matt

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:34 pm
Contributor

i do. in fact i just bought a 26in pivot mach 4. always wanted one plus the price was crazy cheap so i couldn't resist. and even further heresy is it's aluminum not carbon.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:37 am
Contributor

I took quite a few years off as well around 2006. This is my third year back into it. My main bike is a 2005 kona stinky that i pretty much built with used parts off from pinkbike and ebay. Also ride an old giant VT1 from around the same year and a Diamondback XTS that may be from 06. These are all 26 inch bikes. The Only thing im having issues finding is old 9 speed parts. Seems like everything is 10 speed now.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:24 pm
Profile WWW