New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Not the same 
Contributor

Post Not the same
Site isn't the same since the old guys left, the new management sucks (no offense to anyone personally). BS has turned into bitchfest of people that just can't get over themselves. I'll stay, but just wish that this site could go back to something it was a couple years ago.

Western-cycle.com

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:56 pm

Post Re: Not the same
Bill - Please give some examples. If your going to throw out some s h i t, lets hear some specifics. Point out some issues and concerns. Name names. We are adults here.... You seem to be an honest guy that cares, so speak up.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:05 pm
Contributor

BillWC wrote:
the new management sucks (no offense to anyone personally).

:lol: How will that not be offensive to them? :lol:

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:08 pm

I can't speak for the others, but I am not offended. Honestly. But without specific examples to support a statement, it is really just empty words.

I spend a good amount of time on MTB boards. I have to say in defense there is a LOT less bitching here than on others. Here I think 99% of the guys are experienced, knowledgeable, cool, down to earth riders that know their stuff and love riding a bike.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 pm
Contributor

where did "everyone" go?

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:25 pm
Contributor

Examples:

You still have mountains and ride spots after off topic. I get that some people disagree but thats just stupid.
Never integrated video/pictures into the site. Basically just changed the colors and fonts, and threw in a couple new forums. Do something new now that you have the control of the site!
(Dan this is where I mean no offense, I'm just saying do something instead of letting it sit)

More of a general feeling after observing more people giving a crap about status/how the look (NOT talking about kits) instead of riding. also people being bitches. I don't have the time or effort to jump through old posts, just something I've observed. Maybe my idea of bitches is different than yours...

I've had a couple beers, my general thoughts of where this sites going.

Western-cycle.com

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:26 pm
Contributor

a quick post:

"b!tching" or "flaming" is at an all time low, which is nice.

i think there is just less traffic here.
as those of us know, in the past two years there have been some changes and nasty exchanges on the boards here, and i think that not only turn away those involved directly, but general users as well.

i know that i for one stopped coming on for a while because things got so heated. BS was a place to come check out the local scene and catch up with fellow riders, but then it turned into a forum where people slugged it out via typing and at the expense of all readers (not cool imo). so when i started to get pissed off by certain posters, i just stopped checking it out.

so basically what i am saying is that i was not alone. many people who used to be regulars, now simply refuse to be here because of what happened 8-16 months ago (there were several different times when things got waaaaayyy out of hand). i am not just saying this either as i have had these conversations in person and all that i have discussed is widely agree upon.

i dont put the blame on any one person, and i wont. what it comes down to is that BS has lost that "fire" (the good flame, not the pinkbike flame) that used to make it a hot spot for the NE bike community.

how to fix the problem? i am not sure. word of mouth would probably work best. i just hope for the sake of the NE DH/Gen bike scene that things work out b/c even if people dont want to admit it, BS was an integral part of the scene for a very long time, and there has not been anything filling in the void that was created all those months ago.

http://www.frankthewelder.com/
http://www.captaindondo.com/cd

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:37 pm
Contributor

I agree with Bill's general premise. To me, the site is not the same as it was since the change. I like the format change, but agree the ride spot forums should be moved above off topic.

I still think the site is a great resource for NE riding, and I like it alot. I love that folks from Highland, Mt Snow, Sunday River, etc. post here allowing us to have a direct line of communication with them.

The two negatives to me are the loss of Aunt Esther and the fact that this place is a little too sanitized. it could use more fighting, more insults, some good old fashioned cursing, et al.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 pm

Alright that seems like something to work with. That is why the feedback section exists. Point out concerns and make suggestions. Even after a few beers... :grin:

My only thought here is that no you can't please everyone. You can change something and if nobody likes it then it can go back. I think that is what is neat about the site. Now your concern with added features that are available, that can be worked on.

Hey winter is coming so the riding will be decreasing and the board traffic will be increasing. Sounds like a good time to post up some ideas, suggestions and complaints.

Babylon - On your second concern I for one love a good battle/discussion. As long as nobody posts "over the line" stuff, I am for it. I am for it because I am a believer in free speech. But as a public forum, viewed by all age groups, some threads need to be "cleaned". And it takes a lot to get over that line. I am not talking about swearing, flaming, etc.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:44 pm
Contributor

what forums are free of bitching? Every one i go to gets threads de-railed by attitudes, comments, and general free speech. I don't think this site is any worse than any other. It's the nature of forums.

I agree, things have been different over the past year but, I still think BS is a site worthy of visiting. Management can't control who visits and what's on their mind. It's up to the users to post interesting content.

I think that period in BS history where it went unmanaged drove some folks away, and in that valuable contributors have faded. Surely, riding season pulled folks away from the PC -maybe that's why things have been a little stagnant lately.

Bottomline: Ppl biotch in forums, enjoy it, get over it, or don't read those posts. If you want to see things improve, start a new valuable thread or add some value to someone elses....

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:32 am
Contributor

sorry, I'm a bit confused did he want us to change it, or bring it back to the way it was, because he talks about both

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:24 am
Contributor

Yeah, the loss of some key people has created quite the lull. My one technical reccomendation would be to have active threads bumped in the sidebar thing on the front page. It always seems inudated with random stuff for sale. Might generate more conversation.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Contributor

Flip wrote:
My one technical reccomendation would be to have active threads bumped in the sidebar thing on the front page. It always seems inudated with random stuff for sale. Might generate more conversation.

X2

I agree with this, stuff for sale should not be on the front page, that should act as an active topics or hot topics list, but It shoud filter out "stuff for sale" threads (because obviously not much discussion going on in there)

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Contributor

Location: proudly entrenched in the vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
my only complaint is that my Nigerian e-mail partnership has been disrupted by you do-gooders! 8-)

I agree with Frorider, I think there has been less flaming lately which is nice. I think that differences of opinion have been handled pretty maturely, compared to some instances in the past. Personally, I'm on BS a few times a day during work and that's it, so perhaps I'm not as aware of problems as others who log on all the time.

Clysdale (Dave) was very proactive about getting people together for not only biking but socializing when he managed the site, maybe we could see a little more of that? My $.02.

I love poetry, and a glass of scotch, and, of course, my friend Baxter here.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 pm
Contributor

The site has defenitly undergone change. I've been here for over 5 years; I've watched the site transform several times, main posters come-and-go, etc. It's just one big cycle. The people posting 5 years ago, for the most part, are not the same people posting now. The topics being discussed, the trends, the bikes, have all changed at the same rate.

I continue to use the site because I feel integrated into it to a certain extent. I use this place as a tool of communication with alot of people I've met, and overall I just like to talk about bikes. I used to care about the site and how things were ran, but that time has passed, and new people are doing that for me. I'm still here though. The bottom line is that it's a mountain biking forum, its not worth the time to view it as anything more than that.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:06 pm