New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 am

Removing/Replacing Gruitr needle bearings for powdercoat 
Contributor

Post Removing/Replacing Gruitr needle bearings for powdercoat
Hey all,
I broke down my frame to get it PC'ed and had an "uh oh" moment when I saw the recessed needle bearings that the swingarm pivots on.
First, I assume even though they are recessed that they need to be taken out for powder coating. I'd love to be corrected here.
If I assume they need to be removed, any tips for removal?
How about reinstalling them? Can a threaded bolt and some washers be used to press fit them? Any other tips, i.e. grease, better approach, etc?
Finally, for those that have done this, I am pretty sure you need to get new bearings as removing them will likely damage them. Did some googling and someone mentioned they thought that "HK1414 rs" needle bearings should be used. Can anyone confirm before I order (and wait) at $10/ea?
Thanks - and I did leave Bruce a message btw. Just hedging here. I'll update here if I hear from him for the community ;-)
John

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:31 pm
Contributor

Post Re: Removing/Replacing Gruitr needle bearings for powdercoat
So, I ended up talking to Bruce.
He said that you could go either way - remove and replace the bearings for PC, or just leave them and hand regrease them post-PC.
I brought it to goodhues and they wanted to remove the bearings so no leaking oil affects the PC process. They do a lot of motorcycles there so they did not think they'd have any problems punching out the needle bearings. Reinstalling them is supposed to be much easier.
The bearings are HK1414RS - I was able to read the number (in small print) on the side of the bearing. Looking into the best place to source them right now.
Hope this helps others.
John

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:15 am
Contributor

Where are you taking it for powder coating? Just wondering.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:08 pm
Contributor

I got mine from http://www.futurebearings.com/main.htm when i PC'd y Gruitr

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor

Bikenutski - I went to Goodhues PC in Salem, NH. They did a good job but I will warn you you'll be doing some sandpapering on things like shock mount holes to get everything to fit together again. I assume that's probably standard with any PC job that's not done by a bike frame specific outfit. Pics to come at some point.

Thanks JayB. I did end up getting some but turns out they left them in for the PC and I just regreased the existing ones for now.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:28 am
Contributor

Thanks for the info igloo.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:12 pm