New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 am

Anybody recommend a local shop to overhaul my Marzocchi Z150 
Contributor

Post Anybody recommend a local shop to overhaul my Marzocchi Z150
I'd rather do it local than send it out in the mail, but I would be open to mail order shop recommendations also.

I really want someone who has done a ton of them and knows what hey are doing.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:56 am
Contributor

Post Re: Anybody recommend a local shop to overhaul my Marzocchi
Any skilled bike mechanic should know what they are doing. Take it to a shop you trust.. or Push Industries.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:15 pm
Contributor

The hard part is finding the skilled person.
That is why I am asking (doh!).

I am a skilled mechanic myself but I no longer have the time to do much work (2 year old).

"Just take it to any shop" is not a helpful answer ( no offense) to the question "can you recommend a shop".

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:08 pm
Contributor

Ever think of calling up every local shop within reasonable driving distance and asking if their "skilled mechanics" (like yourself) have rebuilt on "a ton" of 7 year old Marzocchi forks?

Doesn't seem like rocket science.

:crazyeyes:

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:03 am
Contributor

"Take it to any shop" was a helpful answer. Like antmav said, it's not rocket science. Find a shop that does MTB, not just commuters, BMX or roadies.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 am
Contributor

I am afraid you guys are coming across as a bunch of self-absorbed dorks with nothing better to do than troll internet forums and reply to topics you are not even interested in just to put your $0.02 in. (I should have known better). Must be nice to have lots of free time on your hands.

I am asking for a recommendation. Look it up in the dictionary if you are confused, but "call every shop" and "take it to any shop" ARE NOT RECOMMENDATIONS.

Are these forums really as useless as this?

Who reads (never mind replies to) a topic they are not interested in?
Either you have a recommendation, or you are interested in hearing the answers, but please don't reply with a bunch of useless commentary.

Just in case anyone needs help, a useful reply would probably read something like this:

"I had Joe Blow from XYZ Bike Shop overhaul my fork 3 times and he is great!"

Or:

"Don't take it to Sally Boo at Foobar bikes. They messed up my fork pretty bad one time..."

I think I may just stop visiting this site altogether if this is the only kind of crap answer you get to a simple question.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 am
Contributor

Or besides changing the oil and replacing the seals, there isn't a whole lot a shop could do for that fork.
So one would need to know the proper oil volume and viscosity, and also have knowledge of how to install a seal.

If you are having a damping issue, I would send it to Marz. for a repair. But for a service, any shop that has the right size wrench for the top caps and an employee that can read should be able to do the job.

If you want to send to me I can do it in my garage for 12 beers. :drinking:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:13 pm
Contributor

I think what we were trying to convey is that servicing a 7 year old fork is not hard for a bike mechanic. Are you looking for a recommendation for a shop in general? What is your LBS? Do you have an LBS? Are you new in town? I am assuming that you have a bike shop like all other people on here, and I am questioning why you don't trust them. If you want a recommendation, take it to Wallingford Bike Barn in Wallingford CT. They can order Marzocchi parts, use a wrench, and read a manual. Done deal.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:33 pm
Contributor

RetardedKevin wrote:
Or besides changing the oil and replacing the seals, there isn't a whole lot a shop could do for that fork.
So one would need to know the proper oil volume and viscosity, and also have knowledge of how to install a seal.

If you are having a damping issue, I would send it to Marz. for a repair. But for a service, any shop that has the right size wrench for the top caps and an employee that can read should be able to do the job.

If you want to send to me I can do it in my garage for 12 beers. :drinking:

That is all I am looking for is an oil change and new seals. Maybe new bushings, but the seem fine (no detectable slop yet).

I know it is simple, but I have been disappointed with the "skills" of other LBS mechanics in the past.
I'd take you up on your offer if it were not for your screen name scaring me off ;-(

I am just trying to avoid having some random Joe do the work. A name of a shop and/or mechanic that meets these minimum monkey-level skills is all I am looking for.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm
Contributor

edk818 wrote:
I think what we were trying to convey is that servicing a 7 year old fork is not hard for a bike mechanic. Are you looking for a recommendation for a shop in general? What is your LBS? Do you have an LBS? Are you new in town? I am assuming that you have a bike shop like all other people on here, and I am questioning why you don't trust them. If you want a recommendation, take it to Wallingford Bike Barn in Wallingford CT. They can order Marzocchi parts, use a wrench, and read a manual. Done deal.

Thanks! That is all I was looking for, but CT is too far for me.

I am in the Boston area, but as I usually do all my work myself, I have not had a good relationship with a shop in a long time. I know the guys at Dedham bike, and I like Belmont Wheel Works, and I live near a Landry's (Natick). Also work near the Cycle Loft.

If anyone knows anything about those shops with respect to suspension work, it would be appreciated.

But maybe all this advice will just convince me to stay up late one night and do it myself.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:48 pm
Contributor

HeavyFlow wrote:
I am afraid you guys are coming across as a bunch of self-absorbed dorks with nothing better to do than troll internet forums and reply to topics you are not even interested in just to put your $0.02 in. (I should have known better). Must be nice to have lots of free time on your hands.

I am asking for a recommendation. Look it up in the dictionary if you are confused, but "call every shop" and "take it to any shop" ARE NOT RECOMMENDATIONS.

Who reads (never mind replies to) a topic they are not interested in?
Either you have a recommendation, or you are interested in hearing the answers, but please don't reply with a bunch of useless commentary.

Just in case anyone needs help, a useful reply would probably read something like this:

"I had Joe Blow from XYZ Bike Shop overhaul my fork 3 times and he is great!"

Or:

"Don't take it to Sally Boo at Foobar bikes. They messed up my fork pretty bad one time..."

I think I may just stop visiting this site altogether if this is the only kind of crap answer you get to a simple question.

First, you have some set calling people who responded to your vague post, self-absorbed dorks. I bet if you checked out that dictionary you referenced and look up self absorded dork, the definition would be "Somebody who goes on a bike forum, professes to the world they are a skilled mechanic but can't find the time to do a job that takes no more than an hour and a half and wants to know where he can find another skilled mechanic who's area of expertise is working on forks that are mostly hanging on people's garage walls".

If you mentioned in the first place that all you were looking for was seals, an oil change and maybe bushings, they instead of vague, wise answers, I would have given you Mike or Noah from Gearworks in Leominster. Both are amazing wrenches, all around good guy, know their crap.......they will certainly take care of you.

You went into all this stuff about looking for a skilled mechanic who has worked on tons of specific forks from 1994, blah, blah, blah.

People troll this thread because they wanna help out a fellow biker, not make fun of posts, but when you throw up crap like you did, you gotta expect stuff like this from crew.

Relax Heavy Flow..............If I was a real wise a$$, I'd tell you to use that z150 to stop your flow. Go get your fork fixed and ride.

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:05 pm
Contributor

HeavyFlow wrote:

yes

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:04 pm
Contributor

antmav wrote:
First, you have some set calling people who responded to your vague post, self-absorbed dorks. I bet if you checked out that dictionary you referenced and look up self absorded dork, the definition would be "Somebody who goes on a bike forum, professes to the world they are a skilled mechanic but can't find the time to do a job that takes no more than an hour and a half and wants to know where he can find another skilled mechanic who's area of expertise is working on forks that are mostly hanging on people's garage walls".

If you mentioned in the first place that all you were looking for was seals, an oil change and maybe bushings, they instead of vague, wise answers, I would have given you Mike or Noah from Gearworks in Leominster. Both are amazing wrenches, all around good guy, know their crap.......they will certainly take care of you.

You went into all this stuff about looking for a skilled mechanic who has worked on tons of specific forks from 1994, blah, blah, blah.

People troll this thread because they wanna help out a fellow biker, not make fun of posts, but when you throw up crap like you did, you gotta expect stuff like this from crew.

Relax Heavy Flow..............If I was a real wise a$$, I'd tell you to use that z150 to stop your flow. Go get your fork fixed and ride.

I know, I know. I am relaxed now. I was going to flame back, but you seem like a decent guy - you did not get totally pissed at me, and I actually got a recommendation out of you!

I am glad you are not a real wise a$$, because I have to point out that you misspelled "self absorded dork" in the same sentence that you tell me I should use a dictionary.

I'll admit that comment was a bit over the top, but I have been frustrated many times on these forums, and decided to vent.

Anyways, if you look at my previous post, I did say that will probably just do it myself.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 pm
Contributor

Check out Rockland Cycle (781) 878-7508. Dave is a good guy and should be able to help you out.

Also on the topic of negative responses, I posted this topic (viewtopic.php?t=56987) and was told
Quote:
There is nothing for you at B@T's. It's all overgrown. So don't be fu#$i#g asking about it on sites like this.
Then was called an A-hole. Never met the guy in my life, don't have a problem with him or anything... but, no wonder most people don't come to this forum as much as in the past. Not many helpful responses, just a lot of bickering.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:27 pm
Contributor

DHbiker wrote:
Check out Rockland Cycle (781) 878-7508. Dave is a good guy and should be able to help you out.

Also on the topic of negative responses, I posted this topic (viewtopic.php?t=56987) and was told
Quote:
There is nothing for you at B@T's. It's all overgrown. So don't be fu#$i#g asking about it on sites like this.
Then was called an A-hole. Never met the guy in my life, don't have a problem with him or anything... but, no wonder most people don't come to this forum as much as in the past. Not many helpful responses, just a lot of bickering.

Thanks. Yeah - I saw that thread!

But to be fair, I was getting what I would more accurately characterize as "less than useful" and "somewhat degrading" (e.g. "it's not rocket science") responses, and I was the one who took it to the next level by calling them "self absorbed dorks". I could have kept my cool a bit more I suppose. So anything I got after that, I guess I was asking for, but still, I asked a simple question to begin with and just wanted the name of some shops! Just don't reply unless you really have something to offer.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:34 pm