New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am

Adjustable Seatpost Suggestions 
Contributor

Post Adjustable Seatpost Suggestions
I just broke the clamp on my Maverick Speedball (Crank Bros Joplin), again. This seat post is great when it's dialed in, but it's high maintenance, a real pain in the a** to adjust, and the clamps that hold the seat down only last a year or two, then your seat pops off. Usually while landing a big drop. Rather than buy yet another replacement clamp, I figured I'd see if there wasn't a better solution out there. 3" of adjustability is plenty. 4" would work if it was a little more low profile, so at it's lowest position, the seat would sit maybe 1/2" lower than it does on the speedball. Any more than 4" and I'm not interested.
Also, realize that I keep my speedball all the way down in the frame. I'm 5' 8" and that's make the height perfect.
So I don't like remotes, I like the lever on the seat, even though it looks like I'm scratching my balls every 5 minutes.
I don't want to spend a fortune. But more important than all of this, I want a seat post that has a much more solid connection to the seat rails. Part of the problem is that my frame is pretty compact, so I tend to mount my seats back further than you normally would. This puts more pressure on the seat-post, especially when landing air.
This was the coolest clamp design I've ever used. The post isn't adjustable, but the clam is great. It makes it super easy to make seat angle adjustments (which are a nightmare on the Maverick/Crank Bros) and that back support is nice and solid.

And here's a picture of my current setup:

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:17 pm
Contributor

Post Re: Adjustable Seatpost Suggestions
I've been googling around and this is the one I like:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... px?sc=FRGL

The lever version of that (not a fan of remotes).
Anyone ride that post? How is it? It's clamp will still snap it's bolt, but those are easy to replace. With the Maverick/Joplin, the bolt stays fine, the clamps themselves bend until the seat goes free.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:48 pm
Contributor

The Reverb works great. I did lose my air seal but Sram sent me a new one. Zero offset head and a proper clamping design. You can bleed it in under 5 mins. Joplin is a turd. I gave mine away because my karma would take a hit if I profited from it.

I do have a friend w/ A KS post. No major problems but he ditched it for the Reverb. Sooo much better.

So you should buy a reverb but it is remote only and had more drop than you need. So maybe you should not buy a Reverb. I am confused.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:07 pm
Contributor

I like the KS over the SRAM because it's about $100 cheaper, and it uses a lever instead of a remote. Not a big fan of the remotes at all.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:04 pm
Contributor

I have an X-fusion Hilo post (100mm, 31.6). Never got to try it out on any rides, but seems very nice. The option of post mounted lever AND remote are a nice feature.

PM if you'd like more info.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am
Contributor

+1 on the Hilo. I've experienced zero side to side play that plagues some other designs and X-Fusion is one of the best companies I've dealt with. I sent in my Vengeance for an overhaul and they turned it over in one day and their communication is great. Can't lose with the Hilo.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:55 pm
Contributor

The other thing I think you should consider when making this decision is the setback of the seatpost. I've been holding on to my speedball because of the extra 1/2+" setback it provides. In most other seatposts, I find they're placing the clamp right over the post itself which will shorten up the cockpit. It's nice to see so many options opening up in the past year or so.

So that brings me to the next question... Anyone out there have suggestions for an adjustable seatpost with a setback? (clamp is not directly over the post)

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:11 am
Contributor

The Hilo uses the same clamping system as the Maverick, which is an incredible pain in the a** to setup and adjust. The maverick clamps also tend to break. The hilo's clamp might be more durable, but it's not going to be any easier to adjust. The KS I ordered has a more traditional clamp style. So it should be easy to set up. I just hope I don't start snapping seatpost bolts all the time like I did with my last seat post before I went adjustable.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:57 pm
Contributor

Beauster wrote:
The other thing I think you should consider when making this decision is the setback of the seatpost. I've been holding on to my speedball because of the extra 1/2+" setback it provides. In most other seatposts, I find they're placing the clamp right over the post itself which will shorten up the cockpit. It's nice to see so many options opening up in the past year or so.

So that brings me to the next question... Anyone out there have suggestions for an adjustable seatpost with a setback? (clamp is not directly over the post)

Bo Bo the command post is pretty sick and it is setback. I bought the reverb for the opposite reason.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:14 am
Contributor

Thanks Satan. Do you have or ride with anyone riding the command post? From reviews, it sounds a bit more reliable in comparison to the speedball. However, it looks to be a very similar clamp design?

Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 am
Contributor

Beauster wrote:
Thanks Satan. Do you have or ride with anyone riding the command post? From reviews, it sounds a bit more reliable in comparison to the speedball. However, it looks to be a very similar clamp design?

My buddy steve has had one for 2 years and It only broke once.(that is not bad considering the quality of the rest of them, reverb included). He Has the blacklight now and says great things about it. If you still work for a Giant dealer, check there Contact switch post out. Shred on Bo Bo.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:02 am