New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 am

Mountain Bike Detangler (Gyro) (Rotor) 
Contributor

Post Mountain Bike Detangler (Gyro) (Rotor)
The standard Gyro out there these days is the SST Oryg. They make "MTB" cables for their gyro, which have longer travel than standard gyros. That's because apparently V brakes require longer pull. But I wouldn't know because I went right from cantilever to discs years and years ago. And I plan on using a gyro with a mechanical disc.

But anyway, on to the question... I don't know what the individual parts of the gyro are called, but does anyone make ones that fit a mountain bike frame without modification? BMX frames are generally steel and are much thinner (overall diameter) than mountain bikes. I did put an SST Oryg on a mountain bike once a few years back. It actually worked ok, but I had to cut the bottom cut in several places, flatten the cup shape, then sort of weld it back together on the frame. It looked messy but it actually was fairly functional. Well that bike is long gone and I'm thinking of swapping out my rear hydraulic disk brake with a mechanical disk and putting another gyro on there. But I don't want to "customize" another one. I know some 26" dirt jumpers have gyros. Are they all made with the cable holders built in to the frames?

So my current park bike is a giant STP. As I said, it has hydraulic discs. Running the front down through a stem bolt and fork steerer is easy. Getting a gyro on there is the hard part. I'm currently running an extra long brake cable so I can do one bar spin. But aside from just the annoyance of having to think "wheres my cable", my bike also tends to do lots of ghost bar spins when it hits the deck. A gyro isn't that expensive and it would solve the whole situation.

Old Bike:

Very Custom Gyro:

Current Bike:

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 am
Contributor

Post Re: Mountain Bike Detangler (Gyro) (Rotor)
Don't know much about the Gyro thingy............but damn, those bananas are way over ripe. Time for some banana bread. :grin:

"If you build it and tell everyone about it, they'll tell everyone about it, and it'll be ruined." Quoted by a local trainbuilder

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:17 am
Contributor

Post Re: Mountain Bike Detangler (Gyro) (Rotor)
Yes that's exactly why they were on the counter :D

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:47 am