New England's source for mountain bike trails, bike pictures, trail maps and more  
HOME NEWS FORUM TRAILS PHOTOS LINKS ABOUT US

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Beater Hardtail 
newB

Post Beater Hardtail
I'm looking at building up a hardtail to mess around with. I've got a few parts already lying around, but trying to decide on a frame.

I'm hoping to test ride a friend's TransAM soon, and the sinister ridge has caught my eye. Is sinisiter still making that frame? I saw one on ebay last night but didn't want to pull the trigger on it just yet.

The bikes purpose: I already have an enduro for trail riding and an sx trail for highland, but don't want an xc racer type hardtail. I want something that'll still let me be able to ride the way I would on my enduro. I'm looking to keep it cheap, so used stuff is great, just not super abused. I've been looking on pinkbike and found some 150mm RS Revelations and 160mm Fox Vanillas for decent prices, so those are the forks I'd be thinking about for this bike

I want a simple, pick up and go bike to have fun on smooth trails. I'm thinking trying out singlespeed on it just to give it a try during the winter.

Anyone have any other suggestions on frames to look at?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 am
Contributor

Post Re: Beater Hardtail
The Santa Cruz Chameleon can take up to a 160mm fork. I've been riding one for a couple seasons now and it's been a great all around hardtail.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 pm
Contributor

Chameleon.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:01 pm
Contributor

I don't think any ridges are being built right now....but if you are looking keep your eyes open....some of them came with horizontel dropouts...nice given you want to try single speed.

I've never seen or heard of one breaking and I've seen some guys going pretty big on them.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:25 pm
newB

Birdman wrote:
I don't think any ridges are being built right now....but if you are looking keep your eyes open....some of them came with horizontel dropouts...nice given you want to try single speed.

I've never seen or heard of one breaking and I've seen some guys going pretty big on them.

Yeah, I've been keep an eye on ebay and running pinkbike searches every few days. No one seems to be selling; which I guess means its a good frame haha.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 am
Contributor

Evil DOC

16 Canfield Nimble 9
16 On One Codeine 29

Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:46 pm
Contributor

I've got a cannondake chase that's good at everything and pretty light. It's an older model thou

Cannondale Chase

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:14 am